Traffic interchange reconstruction at Interstate 17 and Happy Valley and Pinnacle Peak roads in north Phoenix will require ramp closures at Pinnacle Peak Road AND upcoming full closures of south and northbound I-17 while crews set girders on the new Happy Valley Road bridge. Travel delays are possible, so drivers should allow extra time and plan to use alternate routes.
The Arizona Department of Transportation advises drivers to use caution around construction personnel and equipment while the following restrictions are in place:
- The southbound I-17 exit ramp at Pinnacle Peak Road is scheduled to close at 9 p.m. on Sunday, March 22, and remain closed continuously until 5 a.m. Friday, March 27. Detour: Exit southbound I-17 at Jomax Road and use southbound 19th Avenue or exit at Deer Valley Road/Rose Garden Lane.
- East and westbound Pinnacle Peak Road over I-17 will be narrowed to one lane only overnights from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. beginning Sunday night and continuing through Friday morning. Flaggers will guide drivers through the work zone.
- The northbound I-17 exit ramp at Pinnacle Peak Road will be closed overnights from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. beginning Wednesday, March 25, and continuing through Friday morning. The northbound frontage road will remain open. Detour: Exit at Deer Valley Road/Rose Garden Lane and use northbound 19th Avenue.
- I-17 FULL CLOSURES
- Southbound I-17 will be closed at Happy Valley Road from 10 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Saturday, March 28, while girders are set. Happy Valley Road over I-17 will remain open in both directions. Detour: Use the off- and on-ramps at Happy Valley Road to exit and re-enter southbound I-17 or exit at Jomax Road and use southbound 19th Avenue to Deer Valley Road/Rose Garden lane.
- Northbound I-17 will be closed at Happy Valley Road from 10 p.m. Saturday to 7 a.m. Sunday, March 29, while girders are set. Happy Valley Road over I-17 will remain open in both directions. Detour: Use the off- and on-ramps at Happy Valley Road to exit and re-enter northbound I-17 or exit at Deer Valley Road/Rose Garden Lane and use northbound 19th Avenue to Jomax Road.
Learn more about this project on the project webpage.