By Lila Baltman
Due to COVID-19, all the swim instructors at the Hubbard Family Swim School are now required to wear large, plastic face shields while teaching children in the swimming pools. However, even with face shields being worn, children can still see the instructors’ big smiles and friendly faces behind the see-through plastic shields. There may be several new safety measures being used, but parents are definitely excited to sign their babies and children up for swim lessons again and Hubbard is thrilled to be open and back in the “swim of things.”
Founded in 1998 by co-owners Bob and Kathy Hubbard – world-renowned experts and educators in the field of infant swimming – Hubbard Family Swim School offers lessons to children 8 weeks to 12 years of age. The Hubbard’s basic philosophy is this: children everywhere must learn how to swim.
Hubbard’s new safety measures include:
• Face coverings are required for everyone over the age of 6 (except when in the water).
• Families are asked to limit their swim entourage to one adult per family.
• Enter the building no more than 10 minutes before your scheduled lesson.
• Upon arrival, use the available hand sanitizer.
• Practice social distancing and keep children close when they are not in a lesson.
• Families are strongly encouraged to come and leave in swim gear to reduce the number of people in the changing area.
• To reduce family crossover, makeups are not being offered at this time.
The majority of children at Hubbard Swim School enroll in one 30-minute lesson per week. There are a variety of classes available for children ages 8 weeks to 12 years of age. In 2019, the American Academy of Pediatrics formally stated that they now recommend that children as young as 1 year old get enrolled in formal swim lessons.
There are also free “Baby Splash” classes for babies 8 weeks old to 5 months of age available at Hubbard. Parent participation in the water is required. These 30-minute water acclimation classes give parents or caregivers a chance to learn excellent tips on how to enjoy tub time at home with baby and also learn how to prepare baby for swim lessons. The baby splash classes are free but there is a $25 registration fee.
“Our popular Baby Splash classes give parents an excellent way to spend quality time with their babies in the water,” says Kathy Hubbard. “Their swim class together is wonderful bonding time.”
Hubbard in Phoenix is located at 13832 North 32nd Street, Suite 100, in the Kino Plaza. For more information, call 602-971-4044 or visit hubbardswim.com.