The City of Phoenix Street Trans-portation Department is evaluating opportunities to improve Happy Valley Road from 67th Avenue to 35th Avenue. This section of Happy Valley Road is a major arterial roadway that connects commuters to Interstate 17 and supports local and regional residential and commercial activities. At present, this stretch of roadway continuously shifts between two and three travel lanes. Curb, gutter, sidewalk, and raised medians are intermittent. Bike lane widths are varied and, in some places, non-existent.
The Initial Preliminary Engineering Report proposes the following improvements:
• Roadway widening to accommodate a third travel lane between 62nd and 56th Avenues, and between 51st and 47th Avenues
• Raised center medians
• Buffered bike lanes
• New curb, gutter, and sidewalk where missing
• Americans with Disability Act sidewalk ramps
• Pavement preservation treatment and markings
• Upgraded bus bays
• Intersection improvements
• Street lighting and traffic signal upgrades
• Drainage improvements as needed
The final design process for this project has not been scheduled, but it is anticipated to begin in July 2021. The City of Phoenix plans to apply for federal funding to cover a portion of the construction costs. The timeframe for construction will depend on when federal funding is available.
For additional information, email [email protected] or call Leticia Vargas at 602-534-5692. More project details will become available once design is underway.